Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Name That Tree

This week has been very unusual so far.  Well, unusual is pretty usual for us, but this week has been extra-special in that department. 

I went to the bathroom and my two lovely oldest boys snuck out the front door.  It was almost as if they were waiting for their chance, and as soon as I closed the bathroom door they looked at each other and said, "Let's go!" 

At first when I went outside I couldn't see or hear them.  I even went to my neighbors house to see if they had gone over there.  Finally, I walked around the side of the house and found them, sitting on the hood of our van, picking berries off of the tree by our driveway.  I shooed them heartily into the house and tried to explain the dangers of eating unidentified berries.  Then I called Poison Control. 

They told me to try to identify the tree to see if it was poisonous.  They said to take a branch to a nursery and ask them what it was.  But I have three kids and I don't want to pack them up into the van to go find a nursery, so instead I tried the internet.  Let me tell you, there are a lot of websites dedicated to identifying trees.  However, not one of them was able to identify my tree. 

I spent a good hour and a half to two hours looking for the name of this tree, and it just was not there.  Upon further questioning, the boys said that they didn't actually eat the berries.  Whether they were telling the truth, I don't know, but they didn't get sick either way. 

Later that night, we went to Del Taco for dinner, and as we were sitting there, Simeon, with no pre-warning at all, opens his mouth and spews out everything he just ate and drank.  Then he just moved on, like it never happened.  He wasn't upset or fussy or anything.  Aaron was the unlucky person sitting next to him, so he got puked on.  It was so bizarre.  Here I have two kids who I thought ate strange, possibly poisonous berries, and they're fine, but the kid who didn't eat any berries gets sick?  Life just doesn't make any sense sometimes. 

We took the kid home, bathed him, gave him pedialyte (which he didn't like at first, but warmed up to in the end) and put him to bed.  I started to wonder, "What if he did somehow eat a berry?"  Back to my tree search, just in case.  Still no luck. 

The next day, I was stressed out trying to take care of Simeon--who woke up with diarrhea and had vomited again, so he needed another bath.  The boys, I think, could sense I was stressed and reacted to it by becoming very needy and whiny, which did not help at all.  As the day went on, Simeon was doing better, and eventually Aaron came home so the boys could focus their attention on him instead of me.  It already feels like a long week, and it's only Wednesday. 

In the midst of it all, I still cannot figure out what kind of tree we have next to our driveway.  It's driving me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment