Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Give Me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus

Today I feel the words of this song.  I feel the need for Him.  I think that's a good thing.  It means my ears are ready to hear, my heart is ready to mold.  On a day like this, God can speak to me.  On a day like this, God can change me. 

The funny thing is that I don't feel great today.  I'm tired and emotional.  It's sunny out, but I feel like the skies are gray.  Yet somehow, I think it is on a day like this that God can do the most in me. 

On the days when I feel great, it's easy for me to forget how much I really need Him.  But today my need is staring me in the face.  And I love it. 

I love the days when my soul is crying out to God, when I feel that thirst for Him.  It is beautiful.  It reminds me that He is what I want most in this whole world.  It is so easy to be distracted by other things--husband, kids, life, problems, family, friends, neighbors, church, TV...the list goes on.  But on a day like today, all of those things seem to sort of fade into the background, and I remember what is really important. 

A day like today might start out being not so great.  But it has the potential of being one of the best days, depending on whether I choose to rely on Him or on myself.  When I feel low, or sad, or frustrated, I have the choice of continuing in that, or of trusting Him and asking Him for help.  Most of the time, that doesn't mean I will spend an hour in prayer or that I will read eight chapters of Bible.  No, it's nothing nearly so "super-spiritual".  Not that it would be a bad thing for me to do, but let's face it, I don't have enough time (or peace and quiet!) for that.

It might simply mean that I take one minute to stop and say, "Lord, I need your help," or "God, please give me patience."  It might mean that I stop to remember a verse like James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."  Or Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 

Sometimes that is all I can do.  In those times, I know God meets me right where I am.  In those brief moments, I sometimes see God more clearly than in any worship service.  In those moments, I know the truth of Psalm 91:2 in ways I never could on days when I feel just fine.  "I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust'."

No comments:

Post a Comment