Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To Eat or Not to Eat

Here's what's tough about writing a blog every day: sometimes the most exciting thing you could write about is a play-by-play of the food you eat.

So far I have consumed two frozen waffles, a mug of chai spice tea, and a grilled ham, egg and cheese sandwich.

Normally, when I'm not pregnant, I eat about every four hours or so, which is pretty normal for most people, I think.  Now, at 13 weeks pregnant, I try to eat every couple hours.  Not huge meals, just little ones.  If I don't do it that way, I start feeling sick and miserable. 

I read once that a pregnant woman's body, particularly in the beginning of the pregnancy, is working as hard as a regular woman's body when she's climbing a mountain.  When you look at it that way, it makes sense that not eating would make you feel sick.  It takes a lot of energy to climb a mountain.

It might sound fun to have an excuse to eat all the time, and sometimes it is.  What isn't fun is having to find foods that sound good.  Everyone talks about having cravings during pregnancy, but what they don't talk about is aversions.  I really don't have very many cravings, but I seem to have more and more aversions to foods. 

Every since I was pregnant with Malachi, I have a hard time eating spaghetti--even when I'm not pregnant!  Especially if it's my own spaghetti.  I really don't like my own spaghetti.  The only spaghetti I like to eat is my mother-in-law's.  I don't know how she makes it (I'm not sure even she knows quite how she makes it!) but it's good.  Still, even when I have her spaghetti, I cannot eat any leftovers of it.

Right now, I also have a hard time with Mexican food; which is tragic because normally I love it!  I am hoping that as I go along and get into the second and third trimester I'll be able to eat it again.  I really miss it, especially the salsa.  And I know Aaron misses it too.  We used to eat Mexican probably several times a week.  Now, nothing.  Chili's is about as close as we get to it (which really isn't very close--although they do have good salsa--if I could eat it).

I have also developed a rocky relationship with pizza.  This is especially weird because in every other pregnancy, pizza was one thing I could always eat and enjoy.

A few other things I have a hard time eating now that usually wouldn't bother me: bread crusts, the cereal I used to eat every morning, some pot roasts, and chili, among other random foods that just don't sound good in the moment.

Well, as much fun as it has been writing about all the things I can't eat, I think it is about time for me to think about what I can eat next.  Maybe some Ramen noodles.  Of all things, those actually sound good to me!  Too bad they don't have more nutritional value.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining.  I'm not.  Well, maybe just a little:)  Mostly, I look at it as a mystery.  I'm curious why certain foods I love suddenly become unappealing, while others sound great that normally wouldn't be anything special, like McDonald's chicken nuggets.  Whatever the reason, I guess it all just part of the ups and downs of the pregnancy roller coaster.


No comments:

Post a Comment