Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just a Day

Here I am writing at 11:30 pm, just barely meeting the daily requirement.  How procrastinatory of me.  No, that's not a real word.

I don't know what I did today, really.  It's all a blur.  I woke up with a very stiff neck after not sleeping well, and it hasn't gone away all day.  I keep thinking of how God would call the Israelites a "stiff-necked people".  At least I think He did.  I think what He meant was they were a pain in the neck, what with all that wandering around and grumbling.  It makes me wonder if I wander around grumbling too.  It's highly probable.

Simeon had an eventful day.  First, he got hit in the head with a toy truck by his habitually violent brother, Israel.  It actually bled, which slightly freaked me out, but I put a cold washcloth on it and it stopped.  Of course, it was just a tiny little scratch, completely disproportionate to the amount of blood that came out of it.

After that he discovered a baby swing, which he is almost too big for, that he never liked when he was a baby.  Now that he is heading out of babyhood and into toddlerhood, he thinks it's great, and happily sat in it for like ten minutes.

He also fed himself with a fork, a great accomplishment.  I did help him out by getting the food on the fork, but then I would hand it to him.  He is always very deliberate.  He would hold the fork and just look at it for a minute, like he was studying it and calculating the trajectory or something.  Then he would open his mouth really wide and sloooowly put the food in his mouth, and then close it.  It was quite an adorable process.  I was so proud.

The best part of my day was not having any company at my house finally after six days of family visiting.  Not that I didn't enjoy having my family here.  I enjoyed it a lot.  But I am the kind of person who needs a little quiet time to herself to recharge, and I wasn't getting that.  Of course, my nephew Josh was here with us, but I don't consider him company since he will be here for the summer.  I see him more as my fourth son.  Or fifth, depending on how you look at it.

Now here I am eating Doritos even though I know it is so bad for me.  I was sure there was "nothing" else to eat until after I ate them and then realized that I really could have had fruit or cheese or even a glass of milk and it would have been much more wholesome for me.  Oh well.  Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment