Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Cleaning Lady

Somewhere deep inside, there is a woman who loves to clean: a woman who delights in washing dishes, who craves carpet cleaning, desires dusting, loves laundry, and is satisfied when scrubbing.  I would like to get in touch with this woman. 

Unfortunately, I think she is buried under a veritable mountain of clutter.  That's not even the worst part.  It wouldn't be so hard to liberate her, if only she could do it.  She has the motivation for it. 

Sadly, she must depend upon the whims of the woman who is not deep inside, but living quite autonomously; the one who doesn't like dishes or laundry or any of that.  That woman has no pity for the cleaner buried under the clutter: she hasn't much unction to free her. 

Occasionally, I am told, she will let the cleaning lady out, but only when absolutely necessary.  More often than not, you would see her piling more junk on top of Cleaning Lady rather than attempting to free her with the removal of it.  It is a tragic situation, and one I am sure most people are unaware of. 

Cleaning Lady is allowed out of her prison of clutter just often enough to appear as though she is indeed free.  Usually, just as Cleaning Lady is feeling secure in her freedom and enjoying spic-and-span feelings, she finds that a whole new load of junk has been dumped upon her, and she is once again buried. 

I really don't know how she survives this way, but I must commend her on never giving up.  Well, now that I've written this tribute to her, I suppose I ought to release her....

But just long enough to do the vacuuming.

1 comment:

  1. I have the opposite problem. My cleaning lady comes out and dominates. Most of the time that is a good thing. The few times it is not is when the cleaning lady just needs to chill out and let other priorites take, well, priority. We all have our thing.

    ReplyDelete