Friday, January 4, 2013

Les Miserables

Today, to my utter happiness, a package came in the mail which contained the soundtrack to the movie Les Miserables. I saw it last Friday and have been going around attempting to sing "I Dreamed A Dream" ever since, which has been difficult since I don't even know half the words. I wasn't a fan before I saw the movie; that is, I knew the story, and that it was this powerful, wonderful story, but I wasn't one of those people who knew all the songs before stepping into the theater.
 
I wasn't entirely prepared for how moving the songs would be when I watched the movie. I cried through half of it! Even today, when I listened to the music while making dinner, I couldn't help getting a little choked up listening to Anne Hathaway sing, hearing the pain, knowing the story behind the song.
 
Another part I love in the movie is when Jean Valjean is trying to understand this amazingly gracious act by a bishop which essentially gave him a second chance when no one else would so much as give him the time of day. I can't forget the look on his face while he sings, questioning who he is and what he should do, wondering if he really could be a better man, if he really could live a new life. It's a beautiful picture of the redemption we find in Christ.
 
There is so much more that could be said, about the movie, about the music, and most of all about the story, and how it has reflections of a Far Greater Story. But I find myself at a loss to say any of it. Tonight is one of those nights where my heart is reflective, and words can't do justice to the emotions simmering there. If you haven't seen the movie, I hope you will! I hope your heart is touched like mine was. Most of all, I hope that you see that picture of redemption. I hope you see Jesus.
 
Most people see Jesus-- see God, as being more like Javert. Javert is all about the law. Jean Valjean was a criminal and Javert cannot see anything else. He is constantly searching for him to put him back in prison, where he believes Valjean deserves to be. No matter what Jean Valjean does, Javert is just waiting for him to screw up, to show what he wholeheartedly believes are his true colors. Javert sees the prisoner, the slave, the theif, the criminal. He has judged and found Valjean guilty.
 
Sometimes we think God is out to get us too. That He's just waiting for us to do the wrong thing. He sees all, and knows all, and oh yes! He sees everything nasty your heart--you know you could never be good enough! But this is false. That's not who God is. God is the One giving a second chance. He's the One giving us the silver candlesticks to go with the other silver treasures we stole and saying, "This man did nothing wrong." That is what Jesus did on the cross. He gave us a chance at forgiveness. He gave us the possibility of a new life. He gave us redemption. The past is past.
 
I love stories that have elements of Jesus in them. They are always my favorites, and they make my heart feel like soaring. And yes, I know that sounds so cheesy! But oh well-- it's true :) And here I thought I had nothing more to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment