Sunday, March 7, 2010

Surrender

"Surrender."  That seems to be the word of the day.  It's so easy to say, but so hard to do.  When I hear God saying this to me, my spirit responds with a resounding "YES!"  But I start thinking, and I wonder, "Can I really do it?"  Can I really surrender? 
What would that look like?  What would it look like if I woke up in the morning and surrendered that day to God, if I let go of my ideas of what should happen or not happen, if I let God move me in the currents of His will and not mine? 

It's an exciting thought.  And a rather frightening one.  Let go of being in control?  Let go of all my preconceived ideas and plans?  No way!  But that is the only way.

If I could I would write out "the five infallible steps to surrender".  Unfortunately, if such things exist, I certainly don't know about it.  I'm not writing to tell you how.  I don't know how.  Honestly, the longer I walk with God, the more I come to realize that I can do nothing on my own, using my own strength and knowledge.  My knowledge is foolishness compared to the wisdom of God.  My strength is weakness when set side by side with the mighty arm of God. 

In light of that, I guess the first thing I will be surrendering is trying to surrender by myself.  God will have to help me.  First, He'll have to show me the moments when I am  not surrendering.  Second, He'll have to help me see the things I don't want to let go of.  Third, He'll have to remind me that I did tell Him I wanted to surrender.  Fourth, after I say "oh, yeah, that's right, I did say that didn't I?" He'll have to show me again the areas of my life that I haven't surrendered.  I am so thankful that He is patient.

"Then Jesus said to the twelve, 'Do you also want to go away?'  But Simon Peter answered Him, 'Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.'"  John 6:67-68

No comments:

Post a Comment